Thank you for your interest in being a part of the Whitaker Center team!
Located on Market Street in downtown Harrisburg, Whitaker Center is Central PA’s premier destination for entertainment and education. From hands-on science in our Harsco Science Center, to a premium large format movie experience in Select Medical Digital Cinema, to live performances inside Sunoco Performance Theater there’s always something exciting going on at Whitaker Center! Join our team and help us further our mission of serving our community through education, entertainment and art.
If you have a passion for delivering excellent guest service and love the idea of working to fulfill a mission with a dedicated group of individuals, then we encourage you to apply. Whitaker Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our employees enjoy these perks:
- A complimentary Family membership to Whitaker Center
- 15% discount at the Wonders Store, digital cinema concessions and Whitaker Center sponsored events
- Banking partnership with Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union and Members First Credit Union
- Downtown parking options
Full-time employees are eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Generous Vacation and Personal Time Off
- PPO Health Care Plan, Dental, Vision and Prescription
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Pension Plan
- Vanguard 403(b)(7) Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunity to purchase supplemental policies through AFLAC
POSITION: Security Officer
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This is a part-time, hourly position reporting directly to the Facility and Security Manager of Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY: The Security Officer shall be responsible for the general security of buildings and grounds. Provides escort services and other basic public assistance services as needed and performs routine security and public safety patrol duties within assigned areas. Remains alert to emergency situations and provide first-line response, emergency management and/or referral if required.
- Perform security patrol of building and grounds to ensure personal, building and equipment security.
- Examine doors, windows and gates to ensure security; uses Center keys to open and close buildings; monitors closed building for unauthorized persons and/or suspicious
- Protect property from theft, sabotage, fire and accidents.
- Inform and warn violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, solicitation, smoking or carrying forbidden articles.
- Provide escort services for staff, volunteers and guests as necessary; provides other public assistance, such as lockout services, and routine information.
- Watch for and report irregularities, such as security breaches, facility and safety hazards and emergency situations; contacts emergency responders, such as police, fire and/or ambulance personnel as required.
- When necessary, work closely with Harrisburg/State police and Harristown Property
- Providing loss prevention support and awareness through policies, procedures, and personal involvement; provide surveillance and assist Harrisburg City police with apprehensions of shoplifters.
- Ability to respond to fire alarms, emergencies, evacuate the center, etc.
- Remain alert for the presence of unauthorized persons and/or security code violators; approaches suspicious persons and/or notifies police as appropriate; may confront and detain violators, as required, until police arrive.
- Perform periodic checks of Center lights to ensure proper functioning and reports any
- Privately investigate and write reports on accidents, incidents, suspicious activities.
- Respond to staff and volunteers in a timely manner when asked for assistance.
- Ability to answer questions from staff and guests.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Facility and Security Manager.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required plus any Security/Law Enforcement experience preferred. Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Good working knowledge of security operations, safety practices in a business environment and enforcement procedures.
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with staff and the public, to understand and follow standard operating procedures. Prepare investigative reports and complete necessary paperwork.
- Ability to perform duties in a professional manner and appearance.
- To make independent and good judgment decision within proper policy and procedures.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Skill in performing building security and lock procedures.
- Skill in providing protection services to individuals in Center.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service oriented.
- Must be friendly, approachable, and courteous at all times to staff, volunteers and
- Ability to understand, follow, and enforce safety codes, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Certified in CPR/First Aid.
- Must work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
This position description is relative to major requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Work is performed inside and outside the property with exposure to inclement weather and unpredictable crisis situations.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average weight objects, standing and/or walking for extended periods of times.
- Work environment involves some physical risk, which requires following basic safety
DIRECT REPORTS: None at this time.
Submit resume, cover letter and three (3) supervisory references by 4:00 pm on Friday, August 24, 2018 to: Department of Human Resources, Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, 222 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101 or by email at email@example.com.
We’re always looking for volunteers to serve as ushers and interactors at Whitaker Center. We offer great perks and flexible shifts!
Looking for an internship? We have several internship positions available in over a dozen departments.