Thank you for your interest in being a part of the Whitaker Center team!
Located on Market Street in downtown Harrisburg, Whitaker Center is Central PA’s premier destination for entertainment and education. From hands-on science in our Harsco Science Center, to a premium large format movie experience in Select Medical Digital Cinema, to live performances inside Sunoco Performance Theater there’s always something exciting going on at Whitaker Center! Join our team and help us further our mission of serving our community through education, entertainment, and art.
If you have a passion for delivering excellent guest service and love the idea of working to fulfill a mission with a dedicated group of individuals, then we encourage you to apply. Whitaker Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our employees enjoy these perks:
- A complimentary Family membership to Whitaker Center
- 15% discount at the Wonders Store, digital cinema concessions and Whitaker Center sponsored events
- Banking partnership with Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union and Members First Credit Union
- Downtown parking options
Full-time employees are eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Generous Vacation and Personal Time Off
- PPO Health Care Plan, Dental, Vision and Prescription
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Pension Plan
- Vanguard 403(b)(7) Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunity to purchase supplemental policies through AFLAC
Current Open Positions
POSITION: Director, Events & Ticketing
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This is a full-time, salaried, executive level position, reporting directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY: The Director, Events and Ticketing is responsible for the complete daily operation, management and financial performance of Select Medical Digital Cinema, HARSCO Science Center, Box Office, Wonders Store, Group Sales and Special Events.
- Responsible for the overall direction, management, operation, financial performance, fiscal control systems, maintenance and technical improvements, coordination, and evaluation of Whitaker Center’s Select Medical Digital Cinema, HARSCO Science Center, Box Office, Wonders Store, Concessions, Group Sales and Special Events.
- Work closely with the President and CEO on strategic planning and execution of key initiatives.
- Responsible for management of group sales office, including school groups for field trip visits, educators for teacher professional development workshops including the Educators Open House and Discovery Camp participants. Oversee the School District Partnership Contract program. Oversee bookings for Whitaker on Wheels, Big Science Theater programming and birthday parties.
- Execute in collaboration with the Volunteer Manager a training program that allows for the full integration of volunteers into the science center and digital cinema staff and provides optimum visitor services within resource constraints.
- Collaborate with the other departments by providing information about science center exhibits, digital cinema films, and events for naming opportunities, marketing and sponsorships efforts.
- Serve as staff liaison with the Program and Strategic Planning Committee.
COMMON TO ALL LEADERSHIP TEAM MEMBERS:
- Serve as a member of the leadership team to promote the vision and to develop business strategies for successful operation of Whitaker Center.
- Under direction of the President and CEO, perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with established policies and procedures. This includes recommending individuals for appointments and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Participate in the development, implementation and assessment of the organization’s plans, programs and budget, including management and fulfillment of grants and contracts related to the programs and activities within the scope of responsibilities for the leadership team member.
- Maintain professional knowledge of trends and recent developments in areas appropriate to the role and responsibilities within the organization.
- Accept and complete special projects and assignments as determined by the President and CEO.
This position description is relative to major requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible management experience in entertainment, sports, media or with other large public venues.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Knowledgeable in the areas of entertainment ticket sales, sponsorships and group sales.
- Strong customer service background. Own the Customer Experience.
- Innovative, enthusiastic and entrepreneurial.
- Demonstrated leadership with the ability to lead, motivate and inspire people and obtain results through a team oriented environment.
- Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct meetings.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, fiscal and time management.
- Ability to make decision, exhibit sound and accurate judgment and make timely decisions. Must be able to handle multiple projects on a daily basis.
- Hard working and ambitious. Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed to include evenings, weekends, holidays and special events.
- Ability to successfully complete a Pennsylvania State Police Clearance, a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance obtained through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services and a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal History Record Information obtained by submitting a full set of fingerprints to the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Microsoft and internet research procedures and database application; ChoiceCRM and other applicable ticketing software.
- Ticketing Manager
- Exhibits and Cinema Systems Manager
- Wonder Store Manager
- Group Sales Coordinator
- Special Events Coordinator (to be hired by successful candidate)
Please email letter, resume, salary requirements and 3 professional references by August 4, 2017 to Lisa Kreider (Vice President, Operations) at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off in person to 225 Market Street, Second Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17101-2205.
We’re always looking for Volunteers to serve as ushers and interactors at Whitaker Center. We offer great perks and flexible shifts!
Looking for an Internship? We have several internship positions available in over a dozen departments.