Thank you for your interest in being a part of the Whitaker Center team!
Located on Market Street in downtown Harrisburg, Whitaker Center is Central PA’s premier destination for entertainment and education. From hands-on science in our Harsco Science Center, to a premium large format movie experience in Select Medical Digital Cinema, to live performances inside Sunoco Performance Theater there’s always something exciting going on at Whitaker Center! Join our team and help us further our mission of serving our community through education, entertainment and art.
If you have a passion for delivering excellent guest service and love the idea of working to fulfill a mission with a dedicated group of individuals, then we encourage you to apply. Whitaker Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our employees enjoy these perks:
- A complimentary Family membership to Whitaker Center
- 15% discount at the Wonders Store, digital cinema concessions and Whitaker Center sponsored events
- Banking partnership with Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union and Members First Credit Union
- Downtown parking options
Full-time employees are eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Generous Vacation and Personal Time Off
- PPO Health Care Plan, Dental, Vision and Prescription
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Pension Plan
- Vanguard 403(b)(7) Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunity to purchase supplemental policies through AFLAC
POSITION: Guest Relations Associate
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This is a part-time, hourly position reporting directly to the Manager, Ticketing Services or, in the absence of the Manager, Ticketing Services, the Box Office Supervisor at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Guest Relations Associate is responsible for assisting in the daily experience of visitors and providing support to the current needs of the day in the digital cinema, The BOX, and Wonders the Arts and Science Store.
In addition to providing support to various departments, the Guest Relations Associate will:
- Provide enthusiastic customer service by answering questions regarding science center, performing arts, digital cinema, special attractions, directions and assistance, to enhance the guest experience.
- Anticipate guest issues and is empowered to proactively solve guest issues and needs.
- Ability to build personal relationships with Whitaker Center members/guests to encourage repeat visits.
- Ability to utilize excellent customer service skills and interact with guests onsite and over the telephone to sell science center and cinema admissions, memberships, performing arts tickets and answering general inquires.
- Engage guests in a positive, fun, inclusive and educational capacity.
- Cross-trained to be able to work at all ticketing and selling positions.
- Actively promote the sale of new and renewal memberships. Interacting with guests to provide sales and services required. Prepare and post member sales. Call members to request data for incomplete forms. Always maintain confidentiality of member information while processing.
- Attend department and all-staff meetings as directed, staying informed of ongoing changes in department and overall organization
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Ticketing Services or, in the absence of the Manager, Ticketing Services, the Box Office Supervisor.
While providing support to the digital cinema, the Guest Relations Associate will:
- Coordinate with the Exhibits and Cinema Systems Manager on opening and closing of the projection booth and equipment.
- Open and close cinema. Ensure all equipment is properly stored and cinema is locked after last guest exits cinema.
- Ensure all lighting is turned on at the beginning of shift and turned off at closing. This includes the cinema lights, poster cases, Duratron, cinema lobby, stairs/rope lights and fluorescent lights behind screen.
- Greet guests as they enter the digital cinema lobby and direct them to the concession stand and the seating area.
- Open cinema doors, sell and collect tickets, check tickets for the correct date and show time.
- Transport bags of raw popcorn, cans/boxes of seasoning oil, syrup boxes, buckets of ice and other stock to concession stand.
- Pop popcorn, pour drinks and serve pretzels, ice cream and other specialty items.
- Answer questions from guests and resolve any concerns.
- As needed, operate the remote controls located in concession area to start and stop films.
- Maintain the hearing impaired and closed caption devices in regards to distribution, retrieval, cleaning and battery changes.
- Assist guests with special needs such as those who require use of the elevator, wheelchair-accessible seats or assistive devices for the hearing-impaired.
- Distribute and collect 3D glasses. Operate 3D glasses-washing equipment and maintain inventory of glasses.
- Monitor condition of cinema between shows; collect trash, inform custodial staff of any unusual cleaning needs.
- Maintain cleanliness of entire concession stand including cooking equipment, counters, shelves, glass display cases, condiment areas, preparation areas and stock rooms.
- Perform daily concession cleaning and maintenance duties.
While providing support to WONDERS, the Art and Science Store, the Guest Relations Associate will:
- Open and close store, set up and put away displays as needed; set up advertising displays or arrange merchandise to promote sales.
- Courteously greet guests as they enter the store, answer their questions, and proactively sell store merchandise.
- Provide assistance with receiving and processing of incoming merchandise.
- Restock merchandise from storage areas.
- Perform light housekeeping including cleaning of glass, fixtures and merchandise.
- Assist with store inventory.
This position description is relative to major requirements and is not intended to be all–inclusive.
- High school diploma or GED required. One (1) year of front line customer service is required. Retail sales store operations is preferred.
- Previous point-of-sale system, CRM system and credit card experience, preferred.
- Ability to learn, comprehend and utilize the point-of-sale system and ticketing software to ensure efficient and accurate transactions.
- A positive attitude required, strong love for working with people in a fun, inviting atmosphere.
- Previous cash handling experience required.
- Exhibit strong communications, interpersonal and organizational skills in a busy, active environment. Attention to detail a must!
- Ability to multitask (i.e. explain science center, performing arts and digital cinema content while actively completing ticketing transactions).
- Ability to work in multi-working areas (i.e. ticketing, concessions, retail store and washing and distributing 3D glasses).
- Make certain guest service is friendly, helpful and fast.
- Demonstrate flexibility, patience and reliability.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed to include days, evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events.
- Ability to successfully complete a Pennsylvania State Police Clearance, a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance obtained through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services and a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal History Record Information obtained by submitting a full set of fingerprints to the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Computer literate; demonstrated understanding of Microsoft Office applications and ChoiceCRM software.
- Working knowledge of telephone, computer, printer, fax machine, copier, calculator and POS system.
- Ability to operate concession and eye glass washing equipment.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com by March 31, 2017.
We’re always looking for Volunteers to serve as ushers and interactors at Whitaker Center. We offer great perks and flexible shifts!
Looking for an Internship? We have several internship positions available in over a dozen departments.