- Storytellers register upon arrival. Names are drawn out of a hat to decide who competes and order of presentation. About 12 – 15 storytellers can compete per night.
- Stories must fit into the theme of the night! See schedule below.
- Stories should be true as you remember it.
- Stories should be under five minutes in length.
- No notes, no props, no music
- Three judges from the community selected in advance. Each storyteller receives a score on a scale of 1-10 for three different criteria: content, presentation, and adherence to the theme. The two storytellers with the highest scores win, and given spots in November’s Grand Slam! A runner-up is also named to compete in the Grand Slam if the winners flake out or otherwise can’t make it.
- If you win once, we invite you to return and compete; you just won't be awarded points.
- This event is strictly 21 and over.
- Cost of ticket $10 at the door (cash only), $8 online in advance (choose will call when checking out). Includes one drink and priceless entertainment.
- Remember- street parking is free after 7pm!
- When signing up that night to tell a story, storytellers are asked to sign a release stating they are okay with having the story posted on Youtube. Storytellers retain all rights to their stories. Questions? Chat with us at the registration table or email us.
Story Slam Schedule (all begin at 7:30pm)
- July 12- Declaring My Independence- WINNER Linda S. Silberman & RUNNER UP Carol Karl
Tell us about a time you made a stand. It could be a breakup, a makeup, a declaration of wills. Was it moving out of your parents' house for the first time and facing the horrors of adulthood (like making your own dentist appointments)? Or maybe you finally worked up the nerve to quit your job and pursue your passion. Whatever it is, we want to hear about it!
- August 2- Summer Lovin'
Had you a blast or did it happen so fast? Whether you found love in a hopeless place or found something to fall in love with instead of someone, this is your tale to tell.
- September 13- Lessons Learned
School is back in session and, while we know you learned the ABCs and 123s, what other vital knowledge have you held onto over the years?
- October 5- Scared Stupid
Boo. Oh, did we frighten you? Tell us about the time the hairs on the back of your neck stood up or that time you had a brush with death. We’ll even take a good ghost story…it’s all fair game at this month’s Slam!
- November 8 GRAND SLAM- All Good Things
The eight past winners from this summer come together in a storytelling battle royale of the vernacular. This year’s Story Slam season is coming to an end, as all good things do. We’ll be going out on a high note with stories about things ending. Graduations, relationships, jobs, even life itself. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.
Check out these other slammin' story telling events in PA- West Chester Story Slam, York Story Slam, Untitled Harrisburg, Lehigh Valley Story Slam, Lancaster Story Slam.
Tickets are required for both performers and spectators. Your ticket gives you one complimenatry drink and the opportunity to be entered into that night's running to tell your story or just to enjoy what others have to say. This event is strictly 21+. Tickets are $8 in advance online (choose "will call" when checking out), $10 at the door (cash only). This event is generously sponsored by the Harrisburg Hilton. To get to the Hill Society room, enter through the main lobby on 2nd Street and make a left.